Mosquito life cycle
Mosquito feeding habits
Mosquito pest control
- only the female bites to obtain a blood meal and that the male feeds on plant juices
- female mosquitos may live as long as three weeks during the summer and many months in the winter
- all mosquitoes must have water in which to complete their life cycle
- Mosquitoes can fly about 1 to 1.5 miles per hour (1,6-2,4 km/hour)
- There are about 2,800 different species of mosquitoes
- Most mosquitoes remain within 1 mile of their breeding site. A few species may range up to 20 miles or more
- There are over 150 described species of mosquitoes from North America. Several species have been accidentally introduced from other parts of the world.
- Presently, the cues used by mosquitoes to find their hosts are poorly understood. Carbon dioxide (CO2), heat, octenol and light have been shown to be attractants. Other compounds tested such as lactic acid also have proved to attract certain species of biting insects.
- Mosquito is Spanish for "little fly".
- To Humans and domestic animals, mosquitoes are a nuisance and a health hazard since mosquitoes can transmit a variety of diseases.